How to Know if A Self-Publisher is Scamming You

More Authors are Using Self-Publishing

  According to one study, the growth of self-publishing in 2017 (the latest credible statistics) for authors was between 12% – 33%. With more people using self-publishing, it is necessary to discuss how to know if a self-publisher is legitimate. This article will guide you from any publisher that is scamming you.

   More people are trying to be successful authors and some of them have prevailed. A study by Browker estimates out of the 786,935 books published in 2017, 20% of the authors were self-published. This article discusses self-publishers that offer deals to individuals eager to publish their books. Are these authors making money and receiving credible self-publishing deals?

Traditional Press? Self-Publishing? Where is The Income?

    About 1% of authors made over $100,000 in self-publishing. (2014, 2015) What about the other 99%? According to one study in 2017, 25% of the remaining authors received no income from their publication.

     If you are wary of self-publishing or don’t want to take the risk, maybe a traditional press is an appropriate choice. While they might offer a profitable avenue for your book, authors using Traditional Presses are seeing less profit each year. One reason for the decline in Traditional House Publishing is that they don’t offer as much money for a signing bonus as they once did. In, 2018 the Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society reported that professional authors have experienced a 42% decrease in profits over the last ten years. This would set the median annual income of an author using Traditional Presses at slightly above $10,000. It is also noteworthy that while income is on the decline, according to the Authors’ Guild, individuals that self-publish still make about 58% less than traditional publishers. Despite these facts, it can be very challenging for a first-time author, or any author, to get a contract.

Looking At Watchdog Companies

    How can you recognize a scam? To begin, it is essential that you research the publisher with watchdog companies that can provide information about their credibility. Do not make a choice before researching. It is easy to fall victim to publishers’ dazzling website designs and promised results.

      One reason it is important to do your research is that new evidence shows a troubling sign from the Philippines. Foreign countries will sometimes create websites that look authentic and scam you, taking your money, and providing nothing in return. That is just a fraction of the problem. You also have to pay attention to the self-publishers who promise results that never come.

Self-Publishing Company Investigated

     With the self-publishing industry growing 28% in 2017, according to ProQuest Affiliate Browker, it is understandable that people want data on self-publishers. Many prominent groups that support the authors state that statistics regarding self-publishing companies must be investigated before releasing the payment. I agree.

   I evaluated one self-publisher through three different data collection agencies. A lot of conclusions were reached and if you follow my blog, you know that I want verified data! What did this verified data say?… I discovered that the publisher was attempting to target first-time authors and spending advertisements on Google Adwords.

Their beginning self-publishing plan is 3,299 dollar and the only advertisement is with Facebook and Twitter. There are no details on whether they place the self-published book on their own feeds or spend money to help market. In addition, the author receives 60% of the royalties. From what I saw, the self-publishing they provided was elevated in price, by far, compared to other self-publishers. Further, I looked at 5 random books in their bookstore. The marketing website did not rate any of them on their website platform nor were there any comments. 4/5 were on Amazon with one book having 2 ratings, and one having 7. The rest had no reviews. 

When picking a self-publisher that promises to help you achieve your goals, it is important to research the company and validate their acclaimed credibility. If you cannot find any material stating good experiences or bad, don’t risk it. You should also be wary of customer reviews posted on the publishing websites. Just because they’re posted a comment, it doesn’t make them real.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: